I make Lobia Masala very often as this is our favourite accomplishment with rotis/pooris/phulkas. Lobia Masala tastes best with hot poori. I generally prepare this for breakfast during weekends with some hot pooris. Trust me, the combo is just yummy. Since the lobia and potato is slightly mashed it gives an awesome texture and enhances the taste.
When I googled for this recipe, there were many methods available on the internet. But, finally I mixed and matched and came up with my version of this recipe that is so simple. You can also serve this with any flavoured rice. I’m sure this is must try recipe.
- Lobia/Black Eyed Peas – 1 cup
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Potato – 1 large, cubed
- Medium Onion – 1, finely chopped
- Green Chilli – 2, slit
- Chilli Powder – 1.5 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
- Medium Tomato – 2, finely chopped
- Water as needed
- Salt to Taste
- Wash the lobia and soak for about 3-5 hours. Then, pressure cook for 2 whistles or until cooked and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté chopped onions until soft.
- Add ginger garlic paste and green chilli and sauté for 2-3 mins.
- Now, add the spice powders and tomato and mix well to combine. Cook covered until tomatoes are soft and the fat starts leaving from the sides.
- Then add the cubed potatoes along with 1 cup water and cover the lid.
- When the potatoes are almost cooked, add the cooked lobia along with salt and mix well. Add, some more water according to the consistency required.
Slightly mash the lobia and the potato chunks using a ladle. This is just to get enhance the taste or you can leave it as it is. Take off the flame and serve hot with rotis/pooris or any Indian flat bread.