Aloo Palak - a North Indian vegetarian dish cooked with potatoes and pureed spinach. Spinach/Palak is a very rich source of iron. This creamy vibrant green gravy tastes best with Indian flat breads, nans, phulkas.
So, here's the recipe..
- Potatoes – 2 medium (boiled, peeled and cubed)
- Palak/Spinach – 1 Bunch (That makes one cup palak puree)
- Onion – 1 (small)
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
- Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Tomato - 1
- Kasuri Methi/Dried Fenugreek Leaves – 2 tbsp
- Salt – As per Taste
- Pour 1 cup water in a sauce pan and bring it to a boil.
- Now, add the cleaned and washed palak into the pan and cook until soft. When done, puree it and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, sauté the sliced onions.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for 2 minutes.
- Now, add all the spice powders and sauté for few seconds.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook covered for 2 minutes.
- Then, add the pureed palak, water if required and bring it to a boil until the raw smell disappears.
- Add the boiled potato cubes, kasuri methi and cook covered for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with rotis/nans/pulkas.
Aloo Palak goes very well with Indian flat breads, rotis and nans.